Montag, 17. März 2008

The Fall of the House of Usher (?) by Anna

Dear Platypuss *-*,
This is a quicky again. Thought I'd share this picture with you. It's one of the favorite ones I ever took. It's a building somewhere in the Czech Republic. Perhaps, it's from Kutna Hora, a small, interesting city with a magnificent gothic cathedral. It has an big coin museum I've never been to (as it was always closed when I arrived) but I've seen some of the coins from outside; they were really beautiful but soo thick. It all started around the 13th century silver mining flourished there and german miners arrived to experience the village's "silver rush" and it grew into one of the biggest cities in Bohemia. However, these days, the city seems very empty and it has a rather spooky atmosphere I've never experienced in any other cities. It kind of seems dead, if you don't count the groups of tourists which occasionally stop by in their tourist buses. Overall I was there two or three times, the first time when I was around 12, as a part of a class trip and I must admit I didn't like it. At that time, I went into a church and there were millions and millions of real skulls and skeletons all showcased and finding a great audience. It made me feel rather dizzy and uncomfortable. Everyone was looking at the magnificent crown entirely made of skulls and bones but I had to walk out because I didn't see the sensation part in it.
Oh, it's soo late, I gotta go to sleep. Let me know what you think; isn't it extreemly disrespectful to expose the dead like that, even if it's a piece of artwork. Even years later when I go back to the city of skulls and bones, the spirits of the dead seem to haunt me. (If you want to see more pics of skeletal artwork check this site out): http://www.artgraphica.net/art-shop/prague-kutna-hora-bone-church.htm
Sweet dreams
Love Anna





2 Kommentare:

aesthetixxx hat gesagt…

that's some creepy aesthetic atmosphere..i love it ;) but yeah, it is kind of unsettling, when you consider how many bodies it took to create those, it is impressive, to say the least..

Vilma hat gesagt…

Kind of like the catacombes in Paris. I don't know, I just don't really see it that way. Death always needs to be respected but to me a dead person is just dead.
Then again, considering the fact that I will be operating dead people in medschool, I guess it kind of recuires a certain outlook on death.